My research activities often combine academic research and practical application. In addition to publishing for an academic audience, I communicate my research findings to other audiences such as policy makers, politicians and interest groups. I also contribute to public debate by offering perspectives on current issues on poverty and social policy.
This page summarizes these activities involving outputs such as technical reports, knowledge mobilization, workshops, and traditional / social media content.
For a summary of my consulting activities click here.
Knowledge mobilization papers
- Notten, G. and M. Mendelson, Recommendations to collect material deprivation data and to track progress on poverty reduction with a material deprivation index. Written submission and oral presentation (starting at 9:10:25) to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Human Resources, Skills and Social Development and the Status of Persons with Disabilities, Regarding a study of poverty reduction strategies, 20 October 2016.
- Notten, G. and M. Mendelson, Using low income and material deprivation to monitor poverty reduction. Caledon Institute of Social Policy, 28 July 2016, 1-7.
- McEwen A. and G. Notten, Building the information infrastructure for evidence-based social policy-making, Policy Options, 1 April 2016.
- Heisz, A., G. Notten and J. Situ, The role of skills in understanding low income, Insights on Canadian Society, Statistics Canada, 24 February 2016, 1-9.
- Notten, G., Measuring poverty using money only: A risky business for poverty reduction, Public Sector Digest, 15 February 2016, 1-8.
- Notten, G., “Absolute en relatieve armoede” (Absolute and relative poverty), Economisch Statistische Berichten (Economic and Statistic Messages), 93 (4545), 17 October 2008, 625.
- Notten, G., Appels met peren? De levensstandaard in Nederland en Canada [Apples and oranges? The living standard in the Netherlands and Canada], public lecture organized by the Ottawa chapter of the Canadian Association for Netherlandic Studies (CAANS), 6 April 2016, Carleton University. Click here for my presentation (in Dutch only).
- Website – I coordinate the project website On Poverty Reduction (launched in May 2014) which offers a blog and resources on Canada’s provincial Poverty Reduction Strategies (PRS).
- Blog posts – Click here for an overview of my posts.
- Twitter – @GerandaNotten
A summary of my media appearances is provided in my Curriculum Vitae under “Social media and communications”.